20 more images below...
Spa Hotel, Restaurant & Bar For Sale in Carriacou Grenada
Great Business Potential In Paradise
Asking Price: $325,000 USD (Negotiable)
Once-upon-a-time a great little restaurant and bar, up until hurricane Emily (1905) Caribbee Country House Hotel & Restaurant was the 'top-pick' for evening cocktails, créole haute-cuisine, and the chef's authentic Indian curry dishes.
"The most beautiful and romantic spot on the island. You will discover an enticing little oasis: with sea and sunset views, chances are you won't want to wander.”
Barbara Lazear Ascher THE NEW YORK TIMES
THE PRICE listed is for the main building (restaurant / bar / reception) and adjoining apartment building and the land it stands on (approx. quarter-acre with freehold title. Area combined buildings = 4,074 square feet.
LARGE LOUVERED WINDOWS originally designed to lift up on poles to reveal spectacular views across a Caribbean sea in 50 shades of blue to uninhabited islands and magical sunsets. Located on the west coast (two miles out of town in landscaped gardens and a private nature preserve chattering with Amazonian macaws) the property has easy access to a sandy Cove with an offshore sandy lagoon.
PROSPECT LODGE from the mid-sixties until 1988 was run as part of a Gurdjieff retreat (mainly his New York followers). The Inn naturally inherited its legacy of a very tranquil, peaceful, and happy place. opportunity to discover the perfect location in a pleasant setting well away from the madding crowd. The former Inn offers a unique profit and environmental opportunity. It’s conveniently situated at the top of the estate (adjacent to the public byway) with unbeatable views across Sparrow Bay.
1.) RESTAURANT, BAR, KITCHEN, and reception area with one adjoining en-suite bedroom on the same upper level. The large area below has two showers with toilets, together with a 40 thousand gallon catchment cistern and septic tank drainage.
2.) Separated by a breezeway a SPACIOUS APARTMENT ('Planters') with two en-suite bedrooms below. Separate smaller Cistern.
A YACHT MARINA with every facility is nearing completion at Tyrell Bay. It will include berths for 'super-yachts' and a small hotel that will undoubtedly bring more visitors to Carriacou. At present only a mere spattering of restaurants exist on the island. They are somewhat overwhelmed by a host of lively and colourful rum-shops, some offering local food. One recommended restaurant is located at Bogles village (quarter-mile down the lane), leaving a profitable opening for a new venture to serve the fast-growing expat community, the majority of whom have homes all within a one-mile radius of Prospect. CARRIACOU is the largest island in the Grenadines.
GATE COTTAGE (can be sold separately OR acquired with the former Inn)
LOCATED at the very top of the estate ‘Gate Cottage’ has its own driveway access (a four-minute stroll down to the water’s edge and a secluded Cove), nicely situated beside the country lane, below High North.
The COTTAGE is scheduled for improvement to a habitable standard during 2018.
It was only slightly damaged by hurricane Emily with roof remaining intact.
DESCRIPTION: substantially built in the late sixties as a family home. Detached and set apart a two-roomed dwelling (concrete-block & plaster with ceramic floors throughout), nestled in the gardens of our private nature preserve and overlooking the Sea.
1.) "HARMONY" - four-poster bedroom en-suite leading out onto a green-heart deck that overlooks a lawned orchard packed with greenery.
2.) A SEPARATE STUDIO en-suite shower and toilet, with an open-plan kitchen that unfolds a wide flagstone patio shaded by coconut palms, a splendid pink orchid tree and two cherry trees. The STUDIO can be used as a second bedroom.
Living-area comprises 817 square feet to include the green heart deck.
FRESH WATER CATCHMENT: the Cottage has its own separate Cistern, which holds an adequate supply of freshwater (septic tank drainage).
A SURROUNDING LANDSCAPED GARDEN borders the owners’ estate that meanders down to the water’s edge. An easement is written into the Conveyance, and gives the Cottage allowed access down a delightful tree-lined driveway, sloping gently down to a secluded COVE and the Sea. It provides vehicle access with a secure parking lot below the Cottage (immediately off the country byway). Mains Electricity already in place, telephone and Internet can be installed prior to Completion. UPBEAT OPPORTUNITY to remodel and enlarge.
Up until 2005 this charming Cottage was extremely popular as a rental for two/four persons when the Coopers’ ran the adjacent Caribbee Country House Hotel & Restaurant.
With a gentle climate and cool trade winds the COTTAGE is the perfect little hideaway in a serene setting. Prospect is located at the north-western corner of Carriacou immediately below High North (a nature park of 1,000 acres).
|About This Property|
|Features - Amenities|
- Ocean View
- Mountain View
- Pet Friendly
- Maid's Quarters
- Laundry Room
- Studio Room
- A Private Nature Preserve Inhabited With Magnificent Free-Flying Amazonian Blue And Yellow Macaws (Ara Ararauna)
- Press Reviews Caribbee Inn On Carriacou 1989-2005
- In The Past, The Former Caribbee Inn Was Widely Written About And Highly Acclaimed Throughout The World. Here Is A Small Sampling Taken From Various Articles And Reports:
- "We Fell In Love With The Island Of Carriacou And The Caribbee Inn, Small, Simple And Stylish, One Of The World's Great HIDEAWAYS."
- - Mark Ottaway & David Wickers - The Sunday Times 1993
- "The Most Beautiful And Romantic Spot On The Island. You Will Discover An Enticing Little Oasis - Ten Gloriously Romantic Rooms, So Comfortable And Seductive, With Canopied Beds, Sea And Sunset Views, That Chances Are You Won't Want To WANDER."
- - Barbara Lazear Ascher The New York Times
- "Up At Prospect, A Small Place I Had Spotted As A Winner On A Previous Visit, And Been Determined To Consumer-Test More Thoroughly, I Found The People From Bacardi Photographing Drinks In The Sunset, And One Glance At The View Below Told You Why - One Of Which They Had Been Using Earlier As The Ultimate Castaway Backdrop.
- - The Sunday Times
- "The Sweep Of Hillsborough Bay And The Tiny Islands, Trailing Towards The Rolling Sun, Were Every Image You Could Wish To See Of The Caribbean. Then Feathers Rippling In The Glow, Their Opinions Ricocheting Around The Hillside. I Dropped My Bags With A Contented SIGH."
- - The Sunday Times 1993
- "Quite Properly, The Caribbee’s English Owners’ Demand Nothing Of The Guests They Tuck Away In The Carriacou Hills. A Little Oasis Graced By It's Distinctive PERSONALITY."
- - Condé Nast Traveler November 1992
- "Lay Your Sunburned Head At Sparrow Bay House, Which Specializes In
- Solitude And 270-Degree Sea VIEWS."
- - Outside December1992
- "It Had An Instant Charm. The Cooper's Have Created A Happy Place To STAY."
- - The New York Times 1991
- "It Attracts Escapees Who Tend To Discover Affinities Rather Than Be STAND-OFFISH."
- - The Sunday Times
- "It's The English Country House In The Tropics. One Of The Treasures Of The
- - Tatler Cunard Travel Guide 1997.
- Size Of Former Caribbee County House Hotel Restaurant (above & Below)
- & Adjoining Apartment Building
- 1.) Former Inn: Above & Below
- Restaurant Area Above: Dimensions 43 Ft. X 15 FT. 645
- Space (plumbed For Two Bathrooms) Below: 43 Ft. X 26 FT. 1,118
- 2,184 Sq. Ft.
- 40 Thousand Gallon Cistern Below Restaurant & Reception Area Floor
- 2.) Adjoining Apartment(s): Planters Suite & Firefly's Covered Porch On Same Level 42' X 15'
- 630 Sq. Ft.
- Fancy & Cosy On Lower Level Including Tiled Patio Area In Front 42' X 30' = 1,260 Sq. Ft.
- And Covered Breezeway
- 1,890 Sq. Ft.
- 10 Thousand Gallon Cistern Under ‘Fancy’ Patio.
- Total Area Combined = 4,074 Sq. Ft.
- Medical Facilities On The Island & Mainland Of Grenada:
- Princess Alice Hospital (two Miles) With Resident Doctor
- Carriacou Health Services (chs) In Hillsborough, With Visiting Physicians & Specialists From Mainland / Abroad. Three Resident Doctors.
- Government Clinic In Hillsborough (five Miles On Paved Road).
- General Hospital St. George’s (fully Equipped For Any Eventuality)
- St. Augustine’s Clinic (private Hospital Rooms). Available For Visiting Cruise Ships.
- St. George’s Medical University With Professors Of Medicine & Treatment Available For Many Procedures Including Eyes (by Appointment).
- Air Ambulance Service Can Be Chartered For Accidents Real Emergencies.
|Pictures (click to view a larger image)|
|Contact - More Information|
| Robert & Wendy Cooper |
|Phones: || || (473) 443 7244|
(473) 406 4577
|Search More Listings|