Norway House was constructed in 1905 by contractor J.A. Deneen for Eugene E. Schmitz, which became the City's mayor under Abe Ruef's Union Labor Party ticket in 1902. It was during his period as mayor of San Francisco that Eugene E. Schmitz moved to his newly built and expensive home on Vallejo Street.
On May 6th 1941, ship owner and consul Lars Christensen Sr. bought and gave the house to the sailors of Norway as a seamen's center named Norway House. Consul Christensen even guaranteed the running expenses for the first six months. The seamen's center was opened before Christmas 1941.
Norwegian sailors finally had their own home in this part of the world, a nice residence where they could retire from hard work and strain at sea during wartime.
Within the first year Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha visited Norway House as well as several ministers of the Norwegian Government and the prime minister Nygaardsvold. During the second World War Norway House was used for many international receptions. Norway House was also used to decorate seamen with His Majesty The King Was Medal and other medals for distinguished service.
The major function is still to rent out rooms to seamen and maritime personnel, but not the only function. In 1992 Norway house opened its doors to non-seamen and became a Bed & Breakfast; however, the seamen will always have a priority stay at Norway House.
Our rooms are spacious and named after cities in Norway, our suites are named Norway Suite and . Harald Suite