The Site The “borgo” stands on a panoramic height in one of the most attractive areas of Umbria , 3.1/2 miles south of Todi , 1 hour 30 minutes' driving from Rome. It is one of the few fortified rural villages which have remained untouched and architecturally unspoiled. It was built in the Middle Ages on the site of a roman settlement , enlarged during the 15th century , and became the fortified seat of families engaged in agriculture within the military domain of the Papal State. Farming families continued to live there until fairly recent times. The hamlet is built entirely of stone and the remains of the old fortified walls run from the watch tower , a vivid reminder of the past.A narrow street crosses the “borgo” , opens out on a small square (“piazzetta”) and ends at the gardens.
Background The restoration work created a 14 unit residential complex ( 7 with small private gardens) with shared green areas , discretely secluded parking areas and a swimming pool. The architectural plan pays strict respect to traditional forms and materials while employing the latest technology for plants and stability. The units are supplied with individual heating , the sizes vary from 600 to 1500 .
The Apartments The two smallest units have sitting room, kitchenette, two bedrooms and one bathroom. One has a small private garden. The other units offer a sitting room, kitchenette, two or three bedrooms (two of these have private gardens). There are common gardens and a pool for the units without private facilities.
Five of these homes are still available. Please contact the owner/ architect for details of availability.